Benefits, Types, and Treatment
For patients who desire a complete smile makeover, or for those who have a few flaws they’d like to disguise, nothing measures up to the beautiful results of porcelain veneers.
They are completely customizable, enabling patients to choose a smile that is as natural-looking or “flashy” as desired.
Feel free to browse before and after photos to see our patient’s beautiful smiles.
What are porcelain veneers?
A porcelain veneer is a covering for a tooth created out of thin layers of porcelain. The veneer is bonded to the front of the tooth to transform the tooth’s appearance.
Our office uses porcelain veneers because they provide the most attractive and realistic-looking results possible.
Why choose porcelain veneers?
- Porcelain veneers are an excellent cosmetic dentistry treatment option for patients who want a brand new smile.
- Getting porcelain veneers can help patients feel more confident about their appearances, as they can hide flaws such as chips, cracks, gaps, teeth that are too small, teeth that are misshapen, or broken teeth.
- For patients whose teeth are resistant to whitening treatments, veneers can also hide stains and discolorations.
- With good care, patients can expect their veneers to last upwards of 30 years.
When can I get veneers?
Provided there are no major oral health problems, patients can get veneers at any point. They are a purely cosmetic treatment.
To get started, just call our cosmetic dentists to schedule your porcelain veneers consultation.
How are veneers placed?
- First, the teeth need to be prepared for the veneers, meaning some tooth structure will need to be gently removed. This prevents the veneers from appearing too bulky. Patients can use a local anesthetic and/or sedation during the tooth preparation, but should be aware that many patients experience little to no pain during this process.
- Impressions will also be taken, and the patient will have the opportunity to make decisions about the size, shape, and shade of the veneers.
- While the veneers are being created in a dental lab, the patient will be provided with temporary veneers to cover the prepared teeth.
- At a later appointment, the temporary veneers will be removed and the new veneers will be bonded to the fronts of the teeth.
Brief history about veneers
The first veneers were created in the 1930s by a dentist in California named Charles Pincus. These early veneers were attached to the teeth with denture adhesive, making them impractical for everyday wear. About 50 years later, a new method was created for attaching veneers long-term: the use of composite resin. Of course, today’s veneers are much more realistic looking and have significantly better staying power.
What kind of veneers are available today?
Though veneers can be made of composite resin, Advanced Cosmetic & Family Dentistry uses porcelain veneers.
Patients can choose to have porcelain veneers placed on all of the teeth that show when smiling, on a single tooth, or on a few teeth. Patients also get to determine exactly what their veneers will look like.
If you’re curious about porcelain veneers costs and financing options, call Advanced Cosmetic and Family Dentistry today.