Whenever there is infection, or the possibility of infection, it is important to respond to it with treatment as soon as possible.
In our practice, we carefully prescribe antibiotics to prevent serious complications and restore our patients’ oral health.
What is antibiotic treatment?
Antibiotic treatment refers to the use of medications to kill infection-causing bacteria. In dentistry, antibiotics are often used in combination with other treatments to rid the patient’s mouth of infection. They can also be used preventatively in some cases.
When would I need antibiotic treatment?
- One of the most common reasons a patient may need an antibiotic is to treat gum disease.
- Patients are frequently given antibiotics in conjunction with scaling and planing, the process by which the gums are deep cleaned to remove disease-causing plaque and bacteria. Medication can be administered directly to the site to help kill the bacteria and prevent further infection.
- Antibiotics are also frequently given to patients who have an abscessed tooth, in which pockets of infection have developed near the tooth. Antibiotics can clear up this painful infection and prevent further complications.
- Other oral infections may also be treated with an antibiotic.
- Some patients, including those who have certain heart conditions, may also need to take antibiotics before dental procedures to minimize the risk of infection entering the bloodstream.
How are antibiotics administered?
Antibiotics are often taken orally in pill form. There are also topical antibiotics that can be administered directly to the site of infection, as well as antibiotic oral rinses.
Antibiotics must be administered with care so as to prevent the bacteria from becoming resistant. It is important to ensure a bacterial infection is present, or to determine that there is significant risk of infection, before prescribing an antibiotic.
At Advanced Cosmetic & Family Dentistry, we take great care when determining which treatment will be best for each individual patient and whether antibiotics will be beneficial.
Why choose antibiotic treatment?
Antibiotic treatments can make a tremendous difference in one’s oral health. If infection is allowed to persist, there can be serious health consequences. Advanced gum disease can lead to tooth, tissue, and bone loss.
An oral infection also can spread beyond the mouth and into the rest of the body, which can be deadly. When carefully administered by a dental professional, antibiotics are a safe and effective treatment that can help prevent these serious problems.