Teeth Whitening for Flawless Smiles
Teeth can become stained in many ways. Years of drinking coffee, smoking cigarettes, or taking certain medications can lead to discolored or splotchy teeth. Aging can also make the teeth look dull and unattractive.
Teeth whitening is one of the most popular cosmetic dental treatments because it can remedy these problems almost instantly, making a significant difference in the patient’s smile without being too drastic or very expensive.
What is teeth whitening?
Teeth whitening is the process by which stains are removed from the teeth to make them whiter, brighter, and generally more attractive. It is a treatment that is purely cosmetic in nature.
Unlike the whitening products sold in stores, which remove some of the surface stains at best, professional teeth whitening treatments work by safely penetrating the tooth enamel to reach stains within the tooth. This is the best way to truly get the teeth whiter.
Who can benefit from teeth whitening?
- Patients who have teeth that are dingy, stained, or dull can greatly benefit from teeth whitening treatments.
- Coffee or wine drinkers as well as smokers can particularly benefit from the treatment, as these agents often lead to teeth staining.
- Overall, though, anyone whose teeth are natural (without crowns or other restorations, which cannot be whitened) can benefit from a teeth whitening treatment.
When can I get my teeth whitened?
Provided you do not have major sensitivity issues or oral health problems, you can undergo a teeth whitening treatment at any time.
What kinds of teeth whitening are available?
There are various methods that can be used to give patients the whiter smile they desire. In addition to in-office whitening treatments, patients can use whitening trays or strips at home to maintain the results.
How is the service performed?
- Teeth whitening is an easy treatment.
- We apply a whitening gel that penetrates the tooth enamel, enabling it to scrub away at stains. This gel is activated using a special light.
- During the treatment, the patient is able to sit back and relax.
- Often, the treatment is completed in about an hour.
- The teeth will be whiter immediately, and will likely continue to whiten in the hours after the treatment. Some patients will need to undergo additional whitening treatments to achieve their desired results.
In the days after a teeth whitening treatment, patients will need to be careful to avoid beverages and foods that could stain the porous teeth, such as coffee or berries.