Symptoms & Treatments
A TMJ disorder can be a very painful condition. Those who suffer from it may worry that there is a more serious problem at hand or that the pain and discomfort may never go away. We provide patients with effective treatment options that allow the joint to recover while helping them feel more comfortable.
What is a TMJ disorder?
A disorder affecting the TMJ can be caused by a number of factors:
- the muscle may be spasming
- the joint may have been injured
- the disk may be slipping
In some cases, the cause of the disorder is unclear and may be stress-related.
? What are the symptoms of a TMJ disorder?
Patients who are suffering from a TMJ disorder can experience a wide range of symptoms that range from unpleasant to extremely painful. Some common symptoms include:
- jaw pain
- ear pain
- pain when chewing
- facial pain
- clicking or popping sounds
- jaw locking
? How is a TMJ disorder treated?
In order to treat a TMJ disorder, we first need to try to get an idea of what caused it.
- If the joint has simply been strained or injured, the best treatment may be simple care at home.
- If the disk is slipping, we can provide a mouth guard to wear at night that will prevent the joint from moving.
- A muscle relaxant can also help if the muscle spasms are the cause. In some cases, Botox is an effective, therapeutic treatment for TMJ.
- If the best treatment is simply resting the joint, we also offer guidance on how to stay as comfortable as possible while the injury heals. This may include self-care at home such as applying a compress, steering clear of foods that are hard on the jaw, taking a pain reliever, and reducing stress.
We understand how frustrating and painful a TMJ disorder can be, which is why we do everything possible to make sure our patients get relief.