How is a TMJ disorder treated?
In order to treat a TMJ disorder, we first need to try to get an idea of what caused it.
- If the joint has simply been strained or injured, the best treatment may be simple care at home.
- If the disk is slipping, we can provide a mouth guard to wear at night that will prevent the joint from moving.
- A muscle relaxant can also help if the muscle spasms are the cause.
- Botox can help relieve TMJ pain.
- If the best treatment is simply resting the joint, we also offer guidance on how to stay as comfortable as possible while the injury heals. This may include self care at home such as applying a compress, steering clear of foods that are hard on the jaw, taking a pain reliever, and reducing stress.
We understand how frustrating and painful a TMJ disorder can be, which is why do everything possible to make sure our patients get relief. Our dentists provide effective treatment options that allow the joint to recover while helping you feel more comfortable.
Contact us today to find a solution and get relief from your TMJ pain.