Extreme Dental Anxiety During Appointments? We Can Help!
By Dr. Brett Silverman | May 2, 2022 | Anxiety/Sedation Dentistry
If you experience extreme dental anxiety about office visits, you probably delay or avoid regular checkups and cleanings. Extreme anxiety at dentist appointments may cause you to skip the dentist entirely.
As time passes, your mouth suffers the consequences: poor oral health, infection, cavities, pain, bad breath, gum disease, and at worst, tooth loss.
Take heart. You’re not alone.
A study by DentaVox found that out of 18,000 people across the globe, approximately 60% were scared of the dentist. For this group, selecting an empathetic dentist is an essential part of ensuring a positive dental experience.
At Advanced Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Alpharetta, GA, our dentists (Drs. Morton, and Silverman) treat each patient with special care and attention.
We offer IV sedation dentistry, so you can avoid pain and fear, resting comfortably throughout your dental treatments.
If you experience extreme dental anxiety at appointments, contact our office today for a consultation. You’ll forever be glad you did!
Understanding Dental Anxiety or Dental Phobia
Dental anxiety is a condition in which a patient experiences extreme nervousness, emotional and sometimes physical discomfort, and panic at the thought of going to the dentist or during a dental appointment.
Extreme anxiety at dentist appointments can be classified as dental phobia.
Patients who suffer from dental phobia are often triggered at the mere thought of scheduling a dental appointment. While the most often cited issue is fear of pain, chemical smells, the sound of the dental drill, and general discomforts associated with dental visits are also to blame for dental phobia.
The most common symptoms of dental anxiety include:
- Panic Attacks
- Increased Heart Rate
- Difficulty Breathing
- Hot Flashes
- Upset Stomach
If the thought of going to the dentist makes you ill, you need a way to calm your anxiety so that you can safely and calmly undergo professional dental care. Understanding your dental anxiety is the first step to overcoming it, and setting yourself on a path to good oral health and a beautiful smile.
Don’t Let Fear of the Dentist Keep You from Great Oral Health
Once you understand what you’re experiencing, the next step is addressing the root cause of your dental anxiety. There are many causes of dental anxiety, with some of the most common being:
- Negative Experiences: Many people struggle with extreme anxiety at dentist appointments due to negative prior experiences. If this explains your problem, then get to know our dentist(s) during your initial consultation. Ask about sedation dentistry, and determine whether you feel confident in the dentist’s answers. If you like our dentists, you’ll automatically feel some relief.
- Fear of Pain: Pain is the most common reason people avoid the dentist, because many procedures involve intimidating implements, like needles or a dental drill. Numbing medication will temporarily deaden the area our dentist is working on, so the patient doesn’t feel pain. However, for some patients, numbing isn’t enough to conquer anxiety.
- Embarrassment: Some people feel shame about the state of their oral hygiene. Remember that our dentists and team will not judge you! Just as a physician helps restore physical health, a dentist is a doctor for your oral health. Our team of compassionate dentists, hygienists, and assistants appreciate patients who put the hard work in to overcome dental anxiety and undergo the dental care necessary to restore optimal oral health.
- Fear of Losing Control: If you do not like to place control into another’s hands – even a trained and experienced dentist – then IV sedation may be a great option. With IV sedation dentistry, you’ll remember little or nothing of the entire dental procedure.
Conquering Dental Anxiety
At Advanced Cosmetic and Family Dentistry, we understand patients who experience extreme anxiety at dental appointments. Our team has the compassion, skills, and resources to help you conquer dental anxiety.
Some of our amenities include:
- Warm Blankets
- Aromatherapy Comfort Wraps
- Soothing Hot/Cold Gel Eye Pillow
- Calming Music
- Supportive Pillows for Neck, Back, and Legs
- A Refreshment Bar
A comforting environment without chemical smells and stark, bright lights can significantly take the edge off of anxious feelings. We encourage all of our patients to take advantage of these amenities, and if something else can be done to help you feel comfortable during dental appointments, please ask us.
IV Sedation Dentistry
Have you heard of sedation dentistry? It can completely transform your dental treatments, relieving anxiety and providing optimal peace for your mind and body.
AND we offer sedation dentistry here at our Alpharetta office!
With sedation dentistry, our dentist administers IV anesthesia prior to beginning dental work. IV sedation dentistry benefits include:
- With light IV sedation, you can respond to directions by our dentist and answer questions.
- Multiple procedures may be performed in one appointment. That means fewer dental visits!
- You will not recognize any pain or slight discomfort.
- Time passes without your recognition.
- Sounds, smells, and tastes do not bother you.
- Some patients do not remember anything after the medication wears off.
Keep in mind, if you opt for IV sedation, you’ll need someone to accompany you to and from your appointment.
What Should I Do About My Dental Anxiety?
If you suffer from extreme dental anxiety at dentist appointments, take the first step and schedule an appointment with us. Let us know that you have dental anxiety so that we can discuss your concerns and explain various methods of addressing anxiety.
Is our dentist in Alpharetta right for you?
One Google Review states:
“Very few of us like going to the dentist. These people are the BEST from start to finish. I have always been one to have major anxiety before, during, and after my dentist appointment. I have NEVER felt so comfortable and at ease before, during, and after my dentist appointment. I HIGHLY recommend this practice to everyone. The BEST of the BEST.”
At Advanced Cosmetic and Family Dentistry in Alpharetta, our team of dental professionals is committed to providing you with the highest standard of care. We want to ease your anxieties and restore your good oral health.
With luxury amenities, a compassionate and experienced staff, and IV sedation, we can address all of your dentistry needs, while making your experience as comfortable as possible.
Call 678-736-8633 to schedule your appointment today.